Saturday, June 6, 2009

Ex Lord Chancellor Hailsham value his dignity but CJ Zaki sells his dignity for monetary and title


This is an old interview of Lord Hailsham which I would like to share and put our Chief Juctice Zaki to shame.
****************************************************************************************
When I went to interview Lord Hailsham at his official flat in the House of Lords, I asked him what his feelings were on being invited to become Lord Chancellor.
"When Mr Heath asked me to join his government I was greatly honoured and again, when Mrs Thatcher formed her government in 1979 I was very honoured at the compliment she paid me. I like the job and think it a most satisfying piece of work. I'm responsible for the administration of the courts, other than the magistrates courts and for the appointment of judges and magistrates in England and Wales below the level of the Court of Appeal and for the judges in Northern Ireland. In addidtion I'm Speaker of the House of Lords. When able to sit, I preside as a judge in the Appellate Committee in the Lords and the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council. I also attend meetings of the Cabinet and some Cabinet committees. There are very few perks now which go with the job, except that the Merchant Taylors give a ceremonial present of broadcloth once a year. And if there is a demise of the crown you also get the Great Seal, which is defaced by the new monarch. This happened in my father's case, but not in my case."

The Lord Chancellor has an official chauffeur-driven car, but is well known for his love of bicycle riding. When the conservatives gained office in 1979 Lord Hailsham arrived on his bicycle to see Mrs Thatcher.

I asked him how much he was paid for the job. "The salary is £44,000. But, in fact, I don't take that much because I wanted to set an example. So I don't take more than a Cabinet Minister's salary of £27,500. Both Mrs Thatcher and I thought that, although we had to maintain the rate for the job, we ought to set an example by taking less."

As either Lord Chancellor or Judge had he ever nodded off while sitting? He said he hadn't. "It would be a denial of justice for a judge to nod off in court. If I found myself nodding off I would adjourn the case and go and have a cup of tea."

The radio programmes on the proceedings of both Houses are compulsive listening for some people. Although Mr Speaker Thomas is much in evidence in the Commons, you rarely hear much from the Lord Chancellor in the House of Lords. That's because in the Commons Mr Peaker has disciplinary powers deputed to him, whereas the Lords have never deputed disciplinary powers to the Lord Chancellor," Lord Hailsham explained.

"So the discipline of the Lords is imposed by the House itself and the focal point is the Leader of the House and the Leader of the Opposition, not the Lord Chancellor."

Harold Macmillan is known to have favoured Hailsham to succeed him as Tory leader and Prime Minister in 1963, but instead Lord Home took over the reins of power. Wasn't that the greatest disappointment of the Lord Chancellor's political life? "Not at all. If I had been asked to, I would have done the job if I had been able to form a Cabinet. But in my view ANYONE WHO WANTS TO BE PRIME MINISTER IS A FOOL and I's quite happy as I am."

No comments:

Can a Dead Duck come back alive?

  I HAVE NOT SEEN A MIRACLE FOR A LONG, LONG TIME. HAVE YOU SEEN ONE? ZAHID GIVEN A DNAA. NAJIS SENTENCE GIVEN A 50% DISCOUNT. ZAFRUL NOT CH...